Fast and secure file sharing? Are there any options?
What to compare?
Below you find a feature comparison matrix leverages insights into subtle and major differences between ProVide, DropBox, and SharePoint.
|FILE MANAGEMENT – SHARE FILES|
Users are easily able to send files to other users ad-hoc via mail-link.
|FILE MANAGEMENT – RECEIVE FILES|
Users are easily able to receive files from other users ad-hoc via mail-link.
|FILE MANAGEMENT – COLLABORATE|
Download and upload files to shared folder. User designates folder and distribute link.
|FILE MANAGEMENT – SHARE ANY USER ACCESIBLE FILE VIA HTTPS-LINK|
Keep all manuals, user guides, and documentation updated on-line, by sharing the source files directly on the web using user controlled permalinks.
|FILE MANAGEMENT – CONNECT TO SHARED RESOURCES VIA SFTP|
Using third-party software such as SFTP-clients or ExpandDrive, users may connect directly to shared folders. Even as local drives!
|EDIT FILES – OPEN AND EDIT OFFICE DOCUMENTS DIRECTLY|
Open, edit and save MS Office documents directly from the web page without first downloading, editing and then finding the file to upload it again.
|EDIT FILES – OPEN, EDIT AND SAVE ANY FILE DIRECTLY|
Open, edit and save any file type (opens in default application locally).
|EDIT FILES – STABILITY|
Continue working even if Internet disconnects and sync when network is available.
|EDIT FILES – LOCAL SYNC|
Sync entire folders to local computer with persistent storage.
|EDIT FILES – INSTANT ACCESS TO FILES AND FOLDERS USING FAVORITES|
Set work files and folders as favorites to have instant access internally and externally.
|USER MANAGEMENT – ACTIVE DIRECTORY INTEGRATION|
Support for Active Directory including users and security groups coupled with impersonation.
|USER MANAGEMENT – VIRTUAL USER INTEGRATION|
Integrate user access control with business systems, databases, or other general purpose user management systems.
|INTEGRATION & CUSTOMIZATION – INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL SCRIPTING|
Execute scripts, automate processes, integrate with any other system and react to any event including file system changes.
|INTEGRATION & CUSTOMIZATION – IoT, DATABASE AND ERP COMPLIANT|
Integrate your managed file transfer (MFT) and information access solutions with company systems and IoT.
|INTEGRATION & CUSTOMIZATION – CUSTOMIZE ALL GRAPHIC ELEMENTS|
Customize the solution and UX-experience.
|INTEGRATION & CUSTOMIZATION – STEALTH MODE|
Reduce access vectors by running your server in stealth mode so as to give no indication of what server software is used. Often refered to as security by obscurity.
|SUPPORT OPTIONS – FAQ AND KNOWLEDGE BASE|
Free access to Wiki, documentation, user guides, scripting and integration examples on-line.
|SUPPORT OPTIONS – PHONE SUPPORT VIA SLA|
Technical phone support with set response times.
|SUPPORT OPTIONS – E-MAIL SUPPORT AND DEVELOPER ACCESS VIA SLA|
E-mail support and, if needed, direct access to the developers of ProVide means swift and efficient support should problems arise as well as development resources for configuration, integration and future functionality requests.
|SECURE HYBRID OR PRIVATE CLOUD|
On-premise or private cloud data storage with strong data encryption.
|GDPR TECHNICAL COMPLIANCE|
Recent European Union regulations in the form of the General Data Protection Regulation, (GDPR), demands technical solutions with adequate security and access control to protect personal data regarding EU Citizens. The more sensitive the data the more technically advanced protection measures should be implemented.
|FREE FROM CLOUD ACT DEPENDENCY|
US Authorities may request data from US owned or subsidiary companies world-wide irrespective of storage location. This only poses concerns for high security applications, patents and extremely sensitive business data.
|QUALYS SSL Labs security rating|
Deep analysis of SSL server security configuration available at Qualys SSL Labs
1) Account or account setup required. This either requires an Office 365 account, a Microsoft account, or a Dropbox account that may or may not have to be setup by your local administrators.
2) Via ProVideLink that syncs your file locally and removes all local data when the file is updated and the target application is closed. Unlike VPN-solution if the internet disconnects you do not lose your work. ProVideLink works with any self contained file type that has been allowed by administrators. ProVideLink opens files using the default application specified in Windows.
3) Together with third-party software like for instance ExpanDrive (available with a discount from us if you already own a ProVide license).
4) You need to develop a SharePoint Module.
5) From a security perspective we would strongly advise against simple and unsafe file transfer services on-line. Furthermore, we recommend caution against uploading patents and sensitive information to all but encrypted hybrid and private cloud solutions like SharePoint and ProVide.
6) Applies to cloud storage or VPS in data-centres not owned, located and controlled by European companies.
7) With a perfect score of 100/100 in all tested categories.
Fast and secure file sharing? Are there any options?
ProVide targets ease-of-use, reliability and security that may either complement or replace other solutions based on the intended application(s). This feature comparison matrix leverages insights into subtle and major differences between ProVide, DropBox, and SharePoint. Partly it comes down to where your data is being stored, partly how much you trust the suppliers… to store company patents, blueprints or medical journals. Partly it comes down to whether the solution can be monitored.